- This event has passed.
Workshop: Cleaning Data with Open Refine
August 13 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Why do this course?
Do you have messy data from multiple inconsistent sources, or open-responses to questionnaires? Do you want to improve the quality of your data by refining it and using the power of the internet?
Open Refine is the perfect partner to Excel. It is a powerful, free tool for exploring, normalising and cleaning datasets, and extending data by accessing the internet through APIs. In this course we’ll work through the various features of Refine, including importing data, faceting, clustering, and calling remote APIs, by working on a fictional but plausible humanities research project.
You’ll learn how to:
- Download, install and run Open Refine
- Import data from csv, text or online sources and create projects
- Navigate data using the Open Refine interface
- Explore data by using facets
- Clean data using clustering
- Parse data using GREL syntax
- Extend data using Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Export project for use in other applications
The Intersect approach to training
At Intersect, we work closely with our member universities to develop and deliver training that targets the day-to-day software and technology problems that researchers face. We deliver hands-on courses in a relaxed setting with knowledgeable, helpful trainers who are themselves researchers and who know how researchers work.