Hi everyone, I’m Jen! If we haven’t met, I’m your NUPSA Coursework Rep currently working towards my Master of Business Administration and Master of Marketing degrees. During my undergrad years, as well as during my time studying here at UON, I’ve worked as a bartender slinging drinks to put myself through school. Most recently, I’ve worked just steps from NUspace at the Clarendon Hotel (where NUPSA has hosted some terrific trivia nights!).
In my 5+ years working behind the bar, both back home in America and here in Australia, I’ve honed my mixology skills and added a wide range of drinks to my arsenal. I know from personal experience that it may be tempting to drink a wee bit more often right now, while feeling stressed and stuck in isolation… so I’ve gathered up some awesome mocktail recipes for us all to have a delicious drink at home, without the danger of looming regret, violent hangover or risk of vomming in the bushes!
The beauty of making mocktails at home is that you don’t need many tools. If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, I suggest using a protein shaker or a simple glass jar with a lid (screwed on tight)! Making mocktails at home also doesn’t require much effort because measurements can be estimated. So instead of using a fancy jigger to measure your liquids, use a shot glass (30 mls) or ¼ cup measuring cup (60 mls).
Lastly, for any of these recipes you can adjust the ingredients to your taste. As a general rule of thumb: if your mocktail comes out too sweet, add more citrus juice. If it’s too sour, add more sweetener!
Before you begin, a couple of the mocktails use simple syrup (sugar syrup). It is super easy to make – just combine equal parts sugar and boiling water. You don’t need much, I do about 1 cup of each. Stir vigorously to dissolve. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge and used for tea or coffee in place of sugar. Alternatively, you can substitute maple syrup, honey, agave or any other sweetener you have on hand.
Shaker: cocktail shaker, protein shaker or glass jar with lid
Measuring tool: shot glass (30 ml), or ¼ measuring cup (60 ml)
Knife for cutting fruit
Your favourite vessel to drink from
Optional: straws, skewers, and mini cocktail umbrellas.
Virgin mojito, sans rum. This refreshing beverage is crisp and light, perfect for a hot day.
8 fresh mint leaves
Juice of ½ lime, or 30 ml lime juice
15 mls simple syrup
Garnish: mint sprig & lime wedge
- Place mint leaves, lime juice and simple syrup into your glass.
- Gently use a spoon to muddle (stir/squish) the mint with the liquids. Let the ingredients get to know each other.
- Top with ice and soda water, stirring steadily side to side and up and down.
- To garnish, gently slap a sprig of mint against your hand to activate the flavour, and place in the glass with a wedge of lime.
Virgin whiskey sour, sans whiskey. This frothy libation is both sour and sweet, full of flavour, with a silky-smooth texture.
Juice of ½ lemon or 30 ml lemon juice
15 mls simple syrup
15 mls aquafaba (juice from a can of chickpeas) or 1 egg white
60 mls non-alcoholic ginger beer or ginger ale
Garnish: Cherry, lemon or or orange slice.
- Before you begin, prepare your glass filled halfway with ice.
- Add lemon juice, aquafaba or egg white, and simple syrup into the shaker. (Do not add ginger beer/ale or ice).
- Give it a good shake (20 seconds, longer if you’re using egg white).
- Once it’s nice and frothy, pour the shaken mixture and the ginger beer into your glass at the same time so it mixes nicely.
- Optional: garnish with cherries, lemon slice or orange slice.
Virgin bloody mary, sans vodka. This savoury beverage offers added health benefits of tomato juice and is a very popular brunch drink in the USA. The best part is, with the right garnishes it can become a FULL meal!
100 mls Tomato juice
30 mls lemon juice
Dash hot sauce
Dash of salt and pepper
Sprinkle of spices of your choosing, e.g. garlic powder or celery salt.
Optional add-ins: splash of pickle or olive juice, dash of worcestershire sauce.
Optional garnish: olive, pickle, celery, cheese cube, cabanossi chunk, etc.
- Before you begin, prepare your glass filled with ice.
- Combine tomato juice, lemon juice, hot sauce, spices of your choosing into your shaker (without ice). Shake vigorously until mixed.
- Pour over ice and garnish with olive, pickle and celery.
- If you want to make it a full meal, add cheese cubes, cabanossi, prawns, really anything goes. (Back home where I’m from, you can order these drinks topped with a full meal, including fried chicken and hash browns, which are all balanced on top using skewers.)
Virgin espresso martini, sans vodka and coffee liqueur. This perky drink is a special way to enjoy your morning coffee while feeling super fancy.
1-2 Chilled espresso shots or 100 mls coffee
30 mls aquafaba or one egg white
15 mls sugar syrup, maple syrup, agave or honey.
Garnish: Coffee beans to top
- Combine all ingredients into your shaker with ice, and shake vigorously (20 seconds, longer if using egg white).
- Strain into your fanciest glass.
- Garnish with coffee beans. Drink with pinky extended!
Merewether Mock Mule
Virgin moscow mule, sans vodka. This thirst-quenching potion is citrusy and flavourful, thanks to ginger beer and lime.
Juice of ½ lime or 30 mls lime juice
15 mls simple syrup
Non alcoholic ginger beer/ale
Optional: dash of bitters
Garnish: fresh lime or lemon wedge
- Add all ingredients to a glass and stir well.
- Carefully top with ice, and garnish with a lime wedge (or lemon if you prefer).
Pseudo Pina Colada
Virgin pina colada, sans rum. This tropical delight combines pineapple and coconut flavours and is best sipped on the beach out of a coconut.
60 mls pineapple juice
60 mls coco lopez or coconut milk
60 mls coconut water
Garnish: fresh pineapple, cherry or orange slice.
- Combine all ingredients into a shaker (without ice) and shake well.
- Pour into a glass over ice.
- Garnish with cherry, orange slice or fresh pineapple.
Full Shopping List:
4 pack Ginger beer
Tomato juice (small)
Pineapple juice (small)
Coconut milk (small)
Coconut water (small)
1 Soda water
1 can chick peas
1 pack Fresh Mint
1 jar Pickles
1 jar olives