The Research Representative is the voice of all Higher Degree Research (HDR) students at the University, advocating on their behalf and advising the President and other Executive members in areas of advocacy that affect them. He/she communicates with the Office of Graduate Research on matters related to HDR students, and monitors issues throughout Australian universities or the community which may affect HDR students. The Research Representative, in collaboration with the Satellite Representative, also assists and supports students enrolled externally in Higher Degree Research.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaising with the President and other Executive Members regarding matters specifically related to postgraduate higher degree research students;
- Attending meetings with the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation) and the Dean of Graduate Research regarding issues that affect postgraduate HDR students;
- Monitoring issues throughout Australian universities, the community and government which may affect postgraduate HDR students;
- Having major input into NUPSA submissions to University divisions, or state or federal government, that are related to postgraduate higher degree research;
- Seeking solutions in specific problem cases related to candidature for higher degree research after consultation with the President and/or other Executive Members;
- Attending some NUPSA workshops and social events.
Nominate for 2018
Nominations for the 2018 Executive team are open from 3-19 October, 2017.
Download and complete the NUPSA Executive Committee Nomination Form.
You can include a statement (of no more than 300 words) outlining why you would like to participate and what you could bring to the role as well as a passport sized photo. Your statement shouldn’t contain any defamatory or offensive material. These will be distributed to voters in the event of a ballot.
Submit your completed Nomination Form, photo and statement by 5:00pm on Thursday 19 October 2017 via:
- Email: email@example.com
- deliver to the NUPSA Office or one of the Student Hubs; or
- post/deliver to: Returning Officer, Council and Records Management, ATC223, UON, Callaghan, NSW, 2308.
Ashleigh McIntyre – 2017 Research Rep
Hi! My name is Ashleigh McIntyre (call me Ash) and I have just started my RHD journey with the University of Newcastle. My PhD is in Critical Literature and explores the various ways that psychological trauma is represented in contemporary fiction. I am a Newcastle local and have previously attended the University of Newcastle for my Bachelor of Arts Honours degree. I completed my HSC at Saint Mary’s College in Maitland in 2009, before spending the next twelve months volunteering overseas with Cork Simon Communities supporting the homeless community there.
Currently I tutor English for primary and high school students in and around Newcastle and the Hunter Valley. I also run a music program for young children called Mainly Music, a community outreach program which aims to bring local families together.
I greatly look forward to working with NUPSA and hope I can contribute to the university experience of my fellow RHD students through this wonderful organisation!